Follow by email:

12/3/13

Art Tuesday #4: Thanksgiving, Clay Adams, and Memories

So, I have all kinds of things to share this week!

First of all, here's a little bit of what Carson and I did last week during Thanksgiving break:

Drawing Practice!

Carson has taken a wonderful interest in drawing lately, so we sat down for a couple of hours and practiced drawing this little mannequin. It was loads of fun, and it was great to see how much Carson improved in such a short time! I'm proud of him. =)

Second, here's a drawing by another artist: Clay Adams!

"Little Girl"
Clay is especially fond of drawing portraits, and in other works I've seen of his, he likes to draw his favorite musical artists. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of his artwork!

And finally, I have a little story to tell.
Once upon a time, I was eight years old, and my family went on our very first vacation. We spent two weeks in Florida, and it was one of the most wonderful times of my whole life. I still remember catching hermit crabs on the beach, listening to live music while we ate out by the shoreline, and the pirate ship cruise we took. It was wonderful, and I still remember a lot of it. One thing in particular that I remember vividly (that you might find to be a bit strange) was in the closet of our condo. Lauren and I discovered a picture. It was about 2' tall, and had some of the most intriguing and strange creatures on it I had ever seen. We sat in the floor of the closet and drew those strange creatures for hours... Which, in eight-year-old time, was probably twenty or thirty minutes. But it was long enough that, just last week, I suddenly caught a memory of those creatures, and told it to my mom. I must have really been engrossed back then, because she remembered them, too. The next day, my mom handed me a photo and said, "Hey, I found this, and thought you might want to see it."


This is a picture of the picture...it's like Inception...

I was ecstatic. Elated, even. And, with the power of the internet, I was able to find this:

This is the exact poster I saw when I was eight!

The name of the artist is Thomas E. Breitenbach, and here's the collection of his works where I found the Nu Creatures poster: http://archive.is/lS8Sj
AND here's the book that he wrote about the creatures: http://www.amazon.com/Grumparars-Creatures-Adventure-Field-Guide-ebook/dp/B004I6DAHC

Happy Art Tuesday!

Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment